The group was formed in 2013 following the Big Dig earlier that year. The decimal coinage found on the football pitch during the dig paid for the hall hire for the meeting where it was agreed to form the group.
TO PROMOTE AND ENCOURAGE INTEREST IN THE HERITAGE OF THE VILLAGE AND PARISH OF ALDBOURNE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PUBLIC.
To achieve this the Group undertake to:
- Provide a forum for those interested in the history of Aldbourne village and parish and history in general
- Promote the conservation of the historical heritage of the area
- Promote research, discussion, field studies, talks, publications, exhibitions, and other activities relating to local history and to further the education of the public of all ages in these aspects (see the meetings pages)
- Occupy a suitable building in Aldbourne in order to display our local heritage and promote interest to all ages (see the Heritage Centre pages)
- At their discretion accept, keep and display written records and artefacts etc., entrusted to the Group in accordance with the ACHG collection and acquisitions policies
- Gather together from any source available including the internet and make public by archive or display story of the village and parish of Aldbourne
- Involve other organisations as much as possible particularly the local youth organisations and school
- Provide, manage and promote a public information venue for residents and visitors to Aldbourne and to be open on a regular basis plus extra ‘special’ occasions
The committee organize the group’s activities in line with our mission and the constitution.
The current committee members are:
- Terry Gilligan
- Alan Heasman (treasurer)
- Liz Dymond (chair)
- John Dymond (curator)
- Warwick Hood
- Jenny Wales
- Sydney Watts
- Gavin Dixon
- Jan Lambourn
- Chris Rust (secretary)
See here for description of committee roles/responsibilities.
Please do contact any of us to discuss anything about the group.